Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Data Structures

We had Joel Larson attend our class to discuss data structures. Joel Larson gave a simply wonderful speech detailing the rise of data structures, and the many uses it has in our society today. Think of all the movies and tv shows there are on Netflix. How are they stored? If you clicked on one of these movies where does it find the movie? Well all of these movies are stored in a type of database or organized structure that holds all of the information it needs to hold.

Joel Larson told the story of how grocery stores kept track of all the products they bought and sold back in the day. Well now a days that is made so much easier by having a database of all the products in the store. Back then companies would tell stores how much of their product they are going to buy, but now with the ability to keep track of how much of the product is actually sold, there is no need to be forced to buy excess product from the company!

I really enjoyed Joel's presentation, I hope I can eventually take his class on data structures in the future, since I plan on going into Computer Science, and it would be useful for my future career! I love how passionate he was about it, so I am excited to keep learning about the topic as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment